Project 64 Guide, the best emulator for NIntendo 64!

 

I never had a Nintendo 64, I was  a Playstation-holic and the Nintendo console seemed a toy for kids, nothing that could be compared to my amazing PSX! So I just discover now, thanx to the project 64 team, some amazing games that made history as Mario Kart or Mario64.
Talking about the emulator I think is really simple if compared to epsxe, but maybe the compatibility with the roms is not high as in the psx emulator, anyway Project64 runs very well and I am sure that if the team will continue the development of the emulator they can reach almost the perfection.
Let's see how to make P64 Works...

As I said the emulator is very easy to se and Install, let's start:

-Minimum system required:
Intel Pentium 3 700Mhz or AMD Athlon 800Mhz CPU
128MB system RAM
Microsoft DirectX 7 compatible video, sound and input devices
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft DirectX 7 or more

-Download the Project 64 from here, version 1.7 is not free cuz is the newest version and  the team ask a 20 bucks donation, the 1.6 is free to be downloaded, there are differences between the 2 versions but nothing change much in the settings and installation.

- When the download finish install project 64.... is easy and I don' t think i should tell you how to do it step by step... now go to START > ALL PROGRAMS > you will find the folder PROJECT 64, then launch the emulator by clicking PROJECT64 1.6 or whichever version you have.

- The window of this emulator is very simple, as simple as is to be set! trust me... you are almost done!!

- Download roms for nintendo 64 from EMUPARADISE (always the best!)

- Create a folder on your computer where you will collect the N64 roms, then go to your project64 and click on FILE > CHOOSE ROM DIRECTORY... and then choose the folder that you' ve just created to keep your roms.

- Now you should set your control buttons, OPTIONS >  CONFIGURE CONTROLLER PLUGIN and then choose the keys that you prefere... in version 1.7 the menu for the controller is much better then the 1.6 version. Check this picture for some help,,, I use a controller that similar to the one for playstation


DIGITAL PAD: I use the digital pad of my joypad
ANALOG STICK: I use the left analog stick of my joyad
C-BUTTONS: not very confortable but I use the right analog stick but i change the settings in some games







- VIDEO SETTINGS: OPTIONS > CONFIGURE GRAPHICS PLUGIN, I suggest you to change the inbox resolution as it fit better with your screen and if you have a widescreen  during the game you can configure the aspect in ASPECT DISPLAY section.

-PLUGINS: Everything should work right, when you will add a rom into your folder project 64 will detect it and advise you if there are problems with some plugins, but I think that most of you will be able to play without touch anything... Need more plugins? for the video you can find Daedalus Graphics, DaedalusD3D, Glide64, glNintendo64 and Jabo's Direct3D for the audio there is only one, Azimer's audio, only one for the controller too, Jabo's DirectInput.... you can find all those plugins here at EmuAsylum

- Now you are ready! Click on the Title that you want to play directly from Project64 and... enjoy!

LINKS
Project64 website
Another Good Guide for Project64


Game Over?
Player1